Even though the weather is still mild, I’ve found myself starting to fancy a bit of soup for lunch. I’ve combined seasonal broccoli and leek and with white almond butter for a fresh and delicious vegan soup that is perfect for Autumn. And I couldn’t resist putting some conkers in the photo – the colours are so beautiful when fresh off the tree.
This soup is paleo, low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and high fibre.
What makes it creamy if there’s no dairy, I hear you ask? It’s all in the white almond butter, baby! White almond butter is SUCH a versatile ingredient…
If you’re following a keto, low-carb or paleo approach, check out my Paleo loaf. It is seriously delish topped with almond butter or smashed avocado.
To make this super easy and quick, I”ve used frozen broccoli. It can be a bit mushy, but as we’re blending this into a soup, it doesnt matter. Fresh broccoli works just as well, of course.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium or 2 small red onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsly chopped
- 500g bag frozen broccoli or 2 medium heads of broccoli
- 1 leek, cleaned, halved lengthways and chopped into 2cm [3/4 inch] pieces
- 3 tbsp vegan bouillon
- 1 litre [around 1.5 pints] filtered water
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 3 tbsp LOVENUTTY white almond butter
- Fry onions in the avocado oil on a medium heat for around 8 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, leek, bouillon, water and salt and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for around 6-8 minutes until broccoli is cooked and the stalks have softened.
- Add the almond butter and use a stick blender to create a coarse soup. If you prefer a smoother soup, just blend for longer.
- To serve, top with a sprig of fresh parsely and a sprinkle of chia seeds.
Delicious with toasted sourdough or my incredible Quick & Easy Paleo Flax Bread. Seriously – try it! You’ll never look back…
I’m Sian and I LOVE experimenting in the kitchen with plants and I am so happy to be able to share my recipes with you here. I live in Wiltshire, UK with my partner and two children.
I post new recipes and articles about heath (particularly gut health) regularly – watch this space! xx