Fresh turmeric works best in this recipe. The earthy flavour compliments perfectly the tropical tastes of coconut, banana and mango. Turmeric is also powerfully anti-inflammatory.
- 1 cup coconut milk (the stuff that comes in tins)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 inch piece of turmeric root
- 1 scoop unflavoured vegan protein powder
- 80g frozen mango
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tsp ashwagandha (optional)
- 1 tsp baobab (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- If you’re lucky enough to live somewhere warm enough for the tinned coconut milk to be liquid, measure out 1 cup and place in blender cup. for the rest of us, use half the liquid and half the solid coconut cream (or melt for 20 mins on a radiator or in a 50C oven].
- Meanwhile, peel the turmeric root and pop into blender cup. Be careful, though! Turmeric leaves its bright yellow mark on everything it comes into contact with…
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender cup and blend for around 20 seconds.
- Serve with fresh mint leaves, and ice if desired.